Friday, October 2, 2009

My mom now has very nice socks.

Last night I finished my mom's birthday socks. They are made out of Mission Falls wool, and the "pattern" is the sock recipe from Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. These are the first pair of socks that I have ever knit. Note the word pair. The first sock I ever knit was made out of self-striping sock yarn and it cuts off the circulation to your foot and I couldn't figure out how to graft the toe so I gave up and did a three needle bind-off. Now lets never talk about that sock again. Going back to my mom's socks, she says they're awesome.


Two nights ago, I was at Upper Canada Village with a group of other homeschoolers for an overnight thing where you dress up in the 1860's clothes and stuff. That's not the point though. My point is that they have yarn which is made at the village in the gift shop. It's wool. It comes in 3 undyed shades and red and a mustard color. But the best part is that it's cheap. Like $2.50 for 50 grams and $3.50 for 75 grams. So I bought 2 75 gr skeins in red and mustard and 2 50 gr un-dyed skeins. the last two are going in a vest that I'll talk about later, but the first two I'm open to suggestion for. It's worsted weight and quite unevenly spun. I was thinking socks or mittens.


No comments:

Post a Comment